Friday, October 5, 2007

Cool Weather Gear Primer

My brother Murphini helped mark another year of my life recently with an addition to the cycling wardrobe: a Pearl Izumi long sleeve Woolie. Dang...That's hot! Thanks, Murphini! In fact, I'd have to admit that my kin is a group of hoopy froods that I'm extremely fortunate to sass.

Anyway, this woolie segues into questions that a cycling newbie has on cool weather riding gear. Please advise or I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon.

Head
Do I wear some sort of hat under the helmet?

Hands
What types of gloves will I need for different temperatures ranges:

Torso
I understand the concept of layering with thermal undershirt/wool/silk base layers, a long sleeve jerseys and a shell. But what is the case for wearing a short sleeve wool jersey? Would you wear arm warmers in the morning and then opt for no sleeves as the day went on? Also, until I get some more experience, I won't know how much layering to wear.

Legs
Tights? Knickers? Thermal underwear? Maybe I'll get knickers just to tell the young whipper-snappers when I'm 80 that I once owned a pair back in aught-seven.

Feet
Neoprene Booties? Munson's duct tape?

Seriously, though, I'm lost when it comes to this stuff. Mostly, I believe that it will be used for commuting. I suppose there could be some group rides on the warmer days. So basically, what brands do you recommend and where to go to get it? Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

  1. read this

    You can buy a good trainer, or spend about the same amount on good cold weather gear. I'd say, go with the cold weather gear and run when it's just too cold or the streets aren't clear. I use 3 different sets of gloves. I use some good neoprene booties and stick a chemical warmer thing between the booty (huh-huh, he said booty) and the top of the shoe. Get some smartwool socks. I got these wigwam things, but they are actually too warm. I have a helmet that is loose normally so I can wear a greek pastry on my head/face in cold weather.

    There's lot's more to know, but I don't want to type that much. Basically, the stuff you get is worth about as much as you pay for it. Don't go cheap or you won't ride outside. Breadwrappers might have worked for Floyd, but he's a dirty doper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that link is a good baseline. The biggest differences you can make in body temp is your neck and head. That PI long sleever should be a big help. I'd say you might be able to wear that up to mid 60s and maybe a little warmer if you unzip the collar. You'll have to test how low the temp range is of that thing though. Wind/humidity/cloudiness changes your ranges a huge amount. And each person has their own micro-climate nuances. My hands are fine, but my toes nearly die in really cold weather. However, Jon Randell is the opposite. So when I'm riding with regular gloves and 3 layers of booties, he's wearing boxing gloves and sandles. It's all personal preference. Have fun figuring out what works, and don't go bankrupt buying all the gear needed to ride comfortably. It can happen, look at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the stuff that I'm looking for. Thanks.

    But I still don't know a good reason to wear a short sleeve woolie. Fred wore one on a summer group ride when it was like 95 F & 88% humidity. Why? I don't know...guilt? I suppose flagellation is a matter of personal preference. I, for one, prefer to kneel on tacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two sets of gloves -- one for low 30s to low 50s and one for 30 and under.

    I wear a running hat under my helmet when it's probably upper 40s or below. Bald is beautiful, but it's also cold as fook.

    Arm- and knee-warmers are key, but when it's below 30, I have some thermal bibtights.

    On the feet, I have some thermal shoe covers with one of two types of wool socks. Thin (sugoi) or thick (woolie boolie). And if you have perforated insoles in your shoes, use something to add another layer. I glued some felt to a pair of running insoles to basically windproof them. Much nicer when warmth isn't leeching through your cleats.

    Probably the key to not blowing a bunch of cash is to make use of your running stuff. My baselayer gear is all running stuff. It works just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just come into the shop and talk to me. I'm there everyday but Wednesday's and Sunday's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryan: thanks for the tip on the cold leeching through your cleats. Hadn't thought of that. I'm glad to also have a second use for the running gear.

    Matt: I'll take you up on that offer.

    ReplyDelete