Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Follow Up Visit

I had a follow-up with the Orthopedic today. A fresh batch of x-rays didn't reveal anything new. That's the good news. The bad is that I still have a separated shoulder and will need to proceed with caution for the time being. The official word is that I've been given the green light to resume low-impact training so long as it's in the normal range of discomfort.

It's not that the shoulder hasn't made progress. The general inflammation has resided considerably and mobility seems to increase as much as an inch per day. The line of discomfort begins when I attempt to lift my arm above neck level. That's better than a few days ago.

As mentioned previously, it's incredibly painful to sneeze or cough. I'd rate it a 9 of 10 for two seconds after the sneeze followed by a solid 8 for the next 20. Unfortunately, I'm reminded quite often of my injury as this is also my allergy season.

Obviously, I'm scratching from this weekend's CSG TT. As for the Omaha Cycling weekend, only time will tell.

3 comments:

  1. when you say your shoulder is still separated---didn't they pop it back into place? Or will it just get pulled back into place when the muscles heal up?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear no broken bones. Would really like to do some training with you when your all healed.

    The guys I ride with are always pointing out the dangers on the road, so you will be safe. I've always questioned that Shim characters motives....

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, there was no popping the shoulder back into place. I believe that you're thinking of a shoulder dislocation like Mel Gibson's character in Lethal Weapon had.

    My shoulder wasn't dislocated, but separated. Without an MRI, we can't be certain to the extent of injury, but the Orthopedic says it's most likely a mild to medium sprain. Like any sprain, it just takes time to heal. I should have a full recovery.

    Thanks Chris. Shim's actually feeling pretty bad about the whole deal. First, he didn't call me any names or even throw stuff at me while we soft-pedaled back from the scene of the accident. Then later, he called to check up on me. Is that the Shim we know? Seriously, that dude is getting soft.

    ReplyDelete