Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A horse! a horse! My kingdom for a horse!

Is it futile to drop a wad of dough on a new bike, knowing full well that its ultimately the rider, not the bike, that makes for a fast ride?

No. It's not futile. It's not only a great feeling to have new bike, but it will also provide extra motivatation to step up to the next level.

Indeed, it is time.

So, tomorrow I am taking the first step toward getting a new ride by being fit with the gold-standard Serotta fitting system performed by Highgear.

Yet the question remains: should I get fit for a TT/Tri-bike, or a dual purpose road/tri bike?

Ideally, a dual purpose bike with standard drops is the way to go. In the standard configuration, I could ride with the big boys Fred, Bryan and Mike without any additional scrutiny. For triathlons, I could clip-on an aerobar and flip the seat stem around for a tri bike. Best of both worlds, right? Maybe...

However, I can also be a bit of an non-conformist. In this case, maybe I should go purely with a Tri-setup: aerobar/flatbar with bar-end shifters. The Cervelo Dual fits this configuration nicely right off the rack. I also have an admitted weakness for a yellow bike.

Anyway, tomorrow's fitting is the first step. Then comes finding the right bike for me. I'm open to suggestions.

Check back later for an update.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I would say go for the Tri-bike or TT bike. I'd lean toward the TT bike because you could legally use it in road Time trials. Since most of your competition would be in triathlons, I think the big money should go to that. If you ever did decide to do a stage race or a crit, your yellow bike actually is sufficient for that. My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete