Monday, August 20, 2007

Corporate Cycling Challenge 2007 Recap

Some say that the road to Omaha isn't a road at all...

Well, there are a roads in Omaha that are in desperate need of some repair. Along the course of the 2007 Corporate Cycling challenge route, Railroad crossings, for one, caused numerous flats. And there are better roads in developing countries than Carter Lake Road.

But that's why we're doing this crazy event, right?

Okay, so I confess. I thought that I was pretty cool yesterday, showing up on my fancy new ride, complete with time trial bars & bar-end shifters, a cyclo-computer and red LOOK Ke0 pedals. I tossed aside the tattered tank top and corduroys for had a new jersey and bibs. I even had a new helmet. Man, I was set to kick ass.

One mile into it, all of the fun and glory was ruined as my front wheel was sliced up by a sharp object in the RR crossing. How ironic. Maybe it was a payback for all of those times I failed to submit my timesheet on time.

So let's recount the 2007 Corporate Cycling Challenge thus far. It went something like this: Riders, get ready, set, go! BANG! Luke said, "Was that my tire or yours?"

FFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt! It was mine.

After about 10 minutes, or the amount of time it took for practically everyone in the "chase" pack to pass me, I was up and hammering again. That lasted for about five seconds.

Now for all of you who were crying about starting 50 feet from the front, try passing the ENTIRE Tour De Fort pack on Carter Lake road. I saw it all there, and it wasn't pretty. Wow! I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then. My favorite memory was the dude who thought that it would be nifty riding his recumbent trike while managing to occupy six feet of the far left side of the road. Oh, for a bicycle pump to the spokes...

By the time I was on Hwy 75, I was finally breakin' away on the remaining portion of the 41 mile TT. I made good time and was happy with how my P2sl felt, but it just wasn't the same as the first year I experienced the exhilaration of the pack. No, I was going solo this time, pretty much without joy.

I was spent as I approached the finish. I skipped the post fest throw down and went directly home, barely managing 10mph up Cuming street. While I didn't cry --I was probably too exhausted to do so--I wouldn't really care if I did because I openly cry at Hallmark commercials. If I saw a Hallmark commercial while riding Cuming St, well maybe then a tear or two.

So that's my 2007 Corporate Cycling challenge. Next year, I'm riding no-flats. It's either that, or a three wheel recumbent. Heck. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

6 comments:

  1. If you get the recumbent, remember to wear your jersey backwards, in case you need to fetch the remote out of your pocket or whatever it is recumbent guys do.

    Sorry about your mishap. I did hear it happen, but I was afraid to look back - what with the pandemonium and all. Those RR tracks were really bad. How many Aquafina bottles had to die?

    I'm glad you were able to get back on eventually.

    I'm kind of surprised you didn't catch up to Munson and crew with all the wacky adventures they had. Oh well. Maybe you should race next year so you can enjoy pack riding with people who go relatively straight. Actually, there's still a couple of races this year. You'll need a road bike though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Munson and crew on the side of the road too. The way I was spinning, I was afraid that if I stopped, my legs would go into a seizure. I figured they would catch up to me along the route, but Jon's three flats certainly prevented that.

    As for the road bike, how much do you want for that pearl white '86 Bianchi Campione D’Italia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh jeez. That's the bike. Or very close to it anyway. Same color scheme. Slightly smaller frame. If I didn't know better, I'd think someone pulled it out of the dumpster I threw it into. I'm not real sentimental about that sort of stuff, but that's a cool picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, it was really sweet getting a flat every 30 minutes. the ride home from downtown was without incident, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brady! -- when you figure out which recumbent trike to buy, you have to start growing your crazy beard. It's a rule -- recumbent riders have to wear those glasses that change from normal to dark in the sun and grow a crazy-ass beard. And also a denim vest with souvenier patches on it. Maybe add an old Jansport backpack laced to the back of the seat or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryan, I'm am going to be so RAD with my backward jersey, remote control, denim vest with patches, crazy beard, and transitional lens on my recumbent trike. I imagine that I could block all of the Keystone trail while dispensing billowing blue clouds of smoke from the cigar that you'll be handing out for Jack's birth. I could even drop an Aquafina bomb or two for the tail-gaters.

    ReplyDelete